THE SCIENCE OF SELF-CONTROL



CTRL & ALT - control and alter. DEL - only if its bad and unnecessary!

Chasing goals isn’t easy. They remain seemingly out of reach even if we have a clear vision of what the outcome will be like. Taking on the steps that will help us achieve those goals is hugely dependent on the self-discipline and self-control.

Self-control is the ability to control impulses, actions or reactions. It doesn’t necessarily have to be negative; when used properly, it becomes an important tool for self-improvement and success. Self-control can be overcoming obsessions, fears, feelings or any addictions. It helps control your life, develop patience and tolerance and attain a happy state of mind. For instance, if you are on a strong diet and the dessert menu is on the table, you just step away. That’s self-control.

For me, self-control applies to several different parts of my life. From not messaging that person, to cutting sugar (I LOVE sweets) and keeping myself off the game on my phone that I am addicted to. I have learned during my master’s journey that self-control is personal. I can’t teach you self-control, what works for me might not work for you – but it can help. Mindset shift is one of the things that I engaged myself in immensely. Smart change is a thing people. When the thought of that specific thing you need to stay away from, just step away from that thing. Step away from the menu or keep the phone away and just stare at the wall or step outside that specific environment. If you can’t stop eating sweets at night, stop stocking your fridge with ice cream or go for a walk whenever temptation hits.

I am guilty of doing all these examples I have given here, but besides this I am guilty of other things as well. But, at times where I can’t control myself and then sit to dwell on it; I also have days where I practice self-control at levels that I amaze myself and I sit proudly. This shows me that I am indeed capable of controlling these things if I just TRY. Self-control doesn’t mean that you deprive yourself of things you like, if you believe you have practiced self-control and overridden that impulse or feeling, reward yourself a little. A LITTLE. Keep yourself on track after that. Self-control is fun and pleasure which makes you the master of your life.

You need to tell yourself, 'even though I can't change this situation or this feeling, but I can change the way I reach to this situation and control my thoughts. It is for my betterment!'
...XOXO...

Comments

Popular Posts